Sunday, July 29, 2012

REVIEW: The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder


Seventeen-year-old Campbell doesn't believe in miracles. She's spent the last five years in and out of hospitals, so she's pretty sceptical.
But Campbell's mum and sister won't give up. They've heard rumours of a place in Maine where magical things happen: fish raining from the sky, purple dandelions, everlasting sunsets. A place named Promise. Yes, really.
So they head to Promise for a holiday by the sea, where Cam meets mysterious neighbour Asher, a crazy donkey called James and a puppy who's a survivor. In Promise Cam learns to believe in true love, in herself and maybe even in miracles.

I honestly find it very difficult to put into words what I think about this book. But since this is a review, I'm going to have to! The Probability of Miracles is amazing. It made me laugh, and nearly even cry... It is moving and important and will certainly leave a lasting imprint on you long after you've read it.


Cam was awesome. There is no other word for her, she was just awesome. I found I could relate to her in some ways - we're both very cynical and sarcastic! But honestly, she felt so real! I actually find it hard to imagine that she's not a real person...The author wrote so truthfully and realistically that is almost seems like a biography of an actual person. Cam was brave and funny, and I loved her. The secondary characters in the book were fantastic too - Perry was hilarious, she was probably my favourite -  but she seemed a lot older than eleven! Cam's Mom was great too, as was her grandmother and even the vet woman was lovely! I'm a bit undecided about Asher - he was lovely and all, but he didn't seem as real to me as the rest of the characters did. I also didn't really like Lily, Cam's best friend - she should have trusted Cam more, and she just quite annoyed me. 


One thing that really bugged me about this book, was how it was told in third person. I didn't like that at all! I thought it would have worked so much better in first person! I'm very picky about little things in books, so this unfortunately did take away from my enjoyment for around the first half of the book...but after a while I sort of got used to it, but it still did annoy me a little bit!


I enjoyed reading about Cam doing the various things on her 'Flamingo List' (her bucket list of things to do before she died). I think the things on her list actually said a lot about her personality! One of my favourite scenes was at the Dollar Store, when she stole the plastic flamingo - it was just hilarious! Something I noticed, though, was that Cam had two things that she didn't complete on her list, and still said that she had completed her whole list. Admittedly, they were probably the least important things on the list, and I know his seems menial(and it probably is!) but like I said before I'm very picky about these little things!  


There wasn't many twists in this book, but there was one big one around the middle of the book, which I should have anticipated, but I admit that I was totally caught by surprise! It actually made me pretty sad for a few hours :( It was the same with the ending SPOILER ALERT HIGHLIGHT TO READ - well I suppose, I knew it was going to happen all along,  but I just really didn't want it to! It was so unbelievable - it was like losing a friend :( I suppose I was hoping for a miracle... SPOILER OVER


The Probability of Miracles wasn't really what I was expecting (no-one can expect Cam!). But I absolutely LOVED it. It's a fantastic book, and I would recommend it as a summer read. As well as being moving and all round amazing, it's also a lot of fun to read! It's difficult to put into words what this book is like - you just have to read it yourself and believe me, you won't regret it! I hope my review has convinced you, because this book should be read by everyone! At least, buy it for the gorgeous cover? ;) 

Source: For Review - a massive thanks to the publisher for sending me this in exchange for an honest review.
Format: Proof copy
Pages: 368
Age group: 12+
Official Publication Date: 5th July 2012
Publisher: Razorbill

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant review! This looks really touching and emotional! I also can never really settle into a book that I feel would benefit from being in first person. It can get quite annoying, not all authors can pull it off! But I'm glad you still loved it all the same! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing - fantastic review! I agree with you, I much prefer first person to third person. It allows you to get sucked into the book more as if you are actually there and feeling their emotions. Thanks for posting, glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the brilliant review! :) I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I know what you mean, I sometimes find it hard to get into a book which is told in third person. Thanks for the awesome review!
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got me really eager to get my hands on this, Cliona! I love when authors create something amazing, it feels totally realistic and Cam sounds awesome <3 Shame it was in third person, some authors can handle it really well, others would be better off writing in first person. Glad you still enjoyed it though :)

    Fab review, Cliona <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, I've been curious about reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)