Thursday, May 3, 2012

REVIEW: Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver


'On the third night after the day her father died, Liesl saw the ghost.' 
Liesl lives in a tiny attic bedroom, locked away by her cruel stepmother. Her only friends are the shadows and the mice - until one night a ghost appears from the darkness. It is Po, who comes from the Other Side. Both Liesl and Po are lonely, but together they are less alone. That same night, an alchemist's apprentice, Will, bungles an important delivery. He accidentally switches a box containing the most powerful magic in the world with one containing something decidedly less remarkable. Will's mistake has tremendous consequences for Liesl and Po, and it draws the three of them together on an extraordinary journey. 

I absolutely LOVE Lauren Oliver's books, and was dying to read Liesl and Po. I love middle grade fantasy, so I had really high expectations for it! And I'm glad to say, it lived up (if not exceeded!) them! 

Liesl and Po was honestly, completely different from what I thought it would be like! I wasn't too sure what to expect really, but it wasn't this! However, fortunately, it was good different :) It was quite a funny book, and it made me giggle often! I loved the way the children outwitted their rivals, I love it in books when a child makes a fool out of an adult! 


The characters were absolutely amazing! Every single one was so well though out, and given a detailed, and interesting, but not boring background story. My favourite was the kind-hearted guard Mo, and I also liked the sweet apprentice boy, Will and the cute cat-dog, Bundle. But Liesl herself... There was just something about her. She just didn't feel as real as the others, and I didn't feel like I connected to her as much as I did with the other characters. I liked her, but she didn't stand out to me. I loved all the other characters though!


The writing was of course, incredible! Lauren is one of the best YA writers out there at the moment (in my opinion) and in Liesl and Po, her first middle grade novel, she has outdone herself! The writing is beautiful and I am just in awe of the way she writes! The metaphors and comparisons she uses are wonderful. The writing was one of the book's best qualities. 


The illustrations were gorgeous! They were so pretty, and I loved looking at them. I haven't read a book with illustrations in a looong time, and they were just so nice to look at! They helped me to imagine what the characters looked like, and were a lovely, unique touch.


I finsihed reading Liesl and Po with a smile on my face. Honestly I did! It was just the cutest, loveliest book ever! I actually felt something while reading the book, an unusual feat in middle grade fiction! But of course, Lauren was able to pull it off! It was actually quite emotional, I thought :) Liesl and Po was the best middle grade novel I've read in ages, and also one of the best novels overall that I've read in a good while! It's a magical, compelling, humorous and original book - highly recommended!


Rating: 5/5


Source: For Review - a big thanks to the publisher for sending me this in exchange for an honest review.
Format: Paperback
Pages: 336
Age group: 9+
Official Publication Date: 12th April 2012
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton 
Challenges: ABC Reading Challenge


The official Liesl and Po website: www.lieslandpo.com

8 comments:

  1. I love Lauren Oliver! I am sure this book is going to be great too! I enjoy reading your review. Yep, I love looking at illustrations too! It brings out the inner 'kid' in me. XD Lol whatever that means.

    BTW I am so glad to found your blog and since you are a teen blogger it excites me more! I am a teen blogger too! Come check out Books With Marshmallows !!

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review!! I love Lauren Oliver, and your review has made me want to read this book even more!! :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the fantastic review!
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good - I also like a great, adventure middle-grade novel! There's just a quality about them that's not in ya books. Thanks for the great review - I really want this now!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lauren Oliver's writing but I've been hesitant about starting this as I don't really enjoy MG books as much as YA. Still, it sounds great so I hope I can get round to it some day. awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am yet to read anything by Lauren Oliver dispite having this and Delirium! I really cant wait to read them both though and your review has made them move up the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *loved* this, I'm glad you did too! Brilliant review.(:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing review, I am tied between with Lauren Oliver book I should read first! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I absolutely loved this one. So sweet and charming!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)