Thursday, February 23, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

In sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior’s world, society is divided into five factions – Abnegation (the selfless), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent) – each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue, in the attempt to form a “perfect society.” At the age of sixteen, teens must choose the faction to which they will devote their lives. On her Choosing Day, Beatrice renames herself Tris, rejects her family’s group, and chooses another faction. After surviving a brutal initiation, Tris finds romance with a super-hot boy, but also discovers unrest and growing conflict in their seemingly “perfect society.” To survive and save those they love, they must use their strengths to uncover the truths about their identities, their families, and the order of their society itself.



Rating: 5/5
Source: Bought
Pages: 496
Age group: 12+
Official Publication Date: 3rd May 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins Childrens Books
Author Websitewww.veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com



Divergent is one of the most thrilling books I've ever read! And it's also one of the best. If I had the time, I would have read it in one sitting! The story was amazing, so original and compelling. From page 1 I was engrossed in the story, and I read 60 pages sitting in the bookshop! Instead of waiting and buying it cheaper online, I just bought it because it was so addictive! And it was definitely worth the extra money :) It was written really well. the writing simple but effective, which always works brilliantly. I could imagine the characters like they were standing in front of me, and the I felt like I was in the adventure alongside the characters! And, you know how in action scenes in books, things are happening so fast and it's hard to follow what's going on? This was the only book I've read where that didn't happen! Seriously! I was totally absorbed, and it was just amazing! Maybe it's not that big a deal for other readers, but that's one thing that really stood out for me!


Tris was a fantastic protagonist. I was really happy with the factions she chose to join, I think she really belonged there! And it was really brave of her, which brings me to how brave she was! She was so loyal and courageous and would do anything for the people she loved. I love that in a character, especially a female one. Four, a mysterious, enticing trainer was probably my favourite character. I didn't like him at first, I thought he was annoying and arrogant. But once we got to 'know' him better, I loved him!  He was funny, and kind and a great love interest for Tris. I felt for him and completely understood why he acted the way he did when we found out about his past. He was just the ultimate character! Peter - ugh! Now he on the other was the ultimate...well I can't really say, because I try to keep my reviews appropriate for all ages, but you get the gist! He was just EVIL! I could have killed him, I really could. He was such a bully, and he frickin' stabbed someone's eye!!! I mean who does that? What a physco! I just hated him so much. Really. I think he is my Number 1 most evil book villain. Voldemort, he knocks you right off the top spot ;)


I loved the idea for Divergent, it was so original. I've never read anything like it! The whole concept of the different factions was fantastic. I think I would choose to be in...Dauntless or Erudite. Or maybe Amity! I must admit, though I don't really understand the whole 'Divergent' thing. I understood it better towards the end than I did at the beginning but am still a bit confused! If you get it, would you please explain it to me in the comments? Thanks! :) 


There were twists and turns on every page of Divergent and I had no idea what was coming next! It is a real edge-of-your-seat, exciting thriller, and has gotten me into the dystopian genre. I relished every word, and didn't want it to end! I can't wait for the sequel, Insurgent to come out. Veronica Roth is a fantastic new author, and has definitely made her mark on  the YA fiction scene! This book deserves all of the praise it gets, and I would recommend it to boys, girls, adults, everybody! You are missing out on one of the best novels of 2011 if you don't read it! So I think you know what to do. READ IT! :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing review! I haven't really been sure whether to read this or not, but now I really want to - thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you've read this book! It's one of the best books ever written! I think by Tris being Divergent it just means that her personality is split and she could have been able to cope with more than one faction :) Four was my favourite too and I seriously hated, hated, hated Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I've not heard of this- but your review is great! I'm glad you enjoyed it, it sounds like the type of book I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this book! I'm so glad you loved it too—it's always great when you find someone who has the same opinion about a book as you do. (:

    I really respected Tris as a character. Usually the girl main character is supposed to be tough and all that, but they aren't really. Tris really was the one of the group pushing her self and being the most Dauntless of the crew. She really was a great protagonist.

    Anyway, great review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. great review, I think everyone who has read this book adored it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book won on Goodreads as the best book of 2011. And its easy to understand why! This book is amazing, I have not met anyone who didn't like it yet! I'm so glad you liked it! I think I read it in 2 sittings!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)