Friday, July 8, 2011

Wuthering Hearts by Kay Woodward


Passion, the Yorkshire moors, a wild and handsome stranger . . . sound familiar?
When Robert arrives in town with his dark good looks and mysterious background, Emily has a huge crush! It’s almost enough to take her mind off this year’s school play . . . miserable, wailing Wuthering Heights.
But Robert is no prince, with his black moods and fierce temper. The beautiful untamed moors would be the perfect backdrop to their fiery romance, if only Emily could work it out.
On stage or off stage, will Emily ever be the Cathy to his Heathcliff?


I knew I would love this book, even before I started it.  The cover is AWESOME! Yes, I know it's superficial to judge a book by it's cover, but it's just so bright and pretty. And it's not just that. It sounded really good! I love books about acting and drama, they're always so fun! And Wuthering  Hearts lived up to my expectations.


I haven't read Wuthering Heights, but I think I'll have to after this! The classic novel was a  big part of the book, what with the play and everything. At first, Emily doesn't like WH -despite not even reading it! But by the end, it's her favourite book! 


The setting was great  - I liked how it was the same place as where the Bronte's lived. It was all described well - I could see the the wild windy moors perfectly. Despite not really knowing what a moor looks like. *Google images moor* Ah, now I see. They're quite nice. :)


The characters were all fun and likeable. Emily was crazy and really dramatic, my favourite type of character! I liked Robert too, but I thought he was a little annoying. He was a bit too 'poor me' and whenever Emily tried to help him he just got all cross. He was OK in the end though. Emily's Auntie O was fantastic, always listening to Emily's problems and giving her great advice. I wish I had an Auntie O :D The rest of the secondary characters were brilliant too, like Emily's sister Jenna, her friend Maia and the mean girl Lexie.


The plot was a bit weak. It was quite predictable. There wasn't many twists and I knew what was going to happen in the end. But despite that, it was still enjoyable to read.


 Wuthering Hearts is a funny, enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining book. I would recommend it to fans of Luisa Plaja and Louise Rennison. I am really looking forward to reading Kay's other books, especially 'Jane Airhead', another Bronte-themed novel. Good job Kay!


                                                Rating: 3.5/5


Source: For review from publisher
Pages: 224
Age Group: 10+
Official Publication Date: 7th July 2011 (Yesterday!)
Publisher: Andersen Press
Author Website:
www.kaywoodward.co.uk 


Thank you to Sarah at Andersen Press for sending me this to review.
Review done as part of the British Books Challenge 2011, hosted by The Bookette.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a light, girly read. I love the cover too, so eye catching! I've never read Wuthering Heights either, I just remember the song when I see that name, lol!
    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Age group is technically 12+. Glad you enjoyed the book too - I'm posting my review of it tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I so have to read this! It just sounds amazing. Wuthering Heights is a brilliant book: I recommend it!
    Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel-Yeah, the cover is really eye-catching. I've never heard the Wuthering Heights song!

    Traxy-It was great wasn't it? I'll be reading your review! Yeah, the age group is technically 12+ but I just didn't really find anything inapropriate in it!

    The Book Addicted Girl-Now I'll have to read WH! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't give Wuthering Heights a chance until a few years ago and didn't particularly like it, but I like the sound of a more light-hearted take on the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in yorkshire and i loved it! the moors are beautiful so i pictured it really well. amazing story

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is girly, but i'm not particularly girly and i still luved it! i want to read the original now!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)