Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sequins, Stars and Spotlights by Sophia Bennett

Four girls have four dreams. Crow is on the way to becoming an international fashion designer. Jenny's been discovered by a Broadway composer. Edie still wants to go to Harvard. Nonie ... isn't really sure, but knows it's something fashion-related and wonderful. They're growing up and on the brink of glittering careers. So why are their lives so complicated? Why does success demand sacrifices, and which ones are they willing to make? In this, the final book of the Threads trilogy, Nonie discovers that life is just beginning. The girls have choices to make. Who will wait for fame? Who will emerge an outright star? Who will fall in love? And who will turn her back on all her dreams? This time the answers are in New York. It's a long way for Nonie to travel, especially with only one teeny-weeny wheelie bag. But for the sake of her friendships, Nonie will do whatever it takes.


Sequins, Stars and Spotlights is (sadly) the last book in the amazing Threads trilogy.The first book in the trilogy, Threads, is my favourite book, like, EVER! - so obviously I had to see what happened in the end!


There were a few new characters in this book, that I really liked including Nonie's 'friend' Liam , and Jenny' mum Stella. There was another new character, but I'm not going to say who that is, because that would be giving away one of the (very unexpected) plot twists! I have to say, I really enjoyed meeting Stella (Jenny's mum). She was a brilliant addition to the book and gave it more heart and it was great that we finally got to find out more about Jenny's family. 


Crow wasn't in this book as much - I missed her *shrug* 's and *silence* 's! Crow is normally one of my favourite characters, although she can get a little annoying at times - but still. I missed her!


It was strange to see the girls all grown-up - it's hard to imagine Nonie as being 16 or 17! She doesn't mature much in the first two books, but in this one she does. I felt sorry for her at times, especially around the middle when everything seemed to be wrong. Honestly, I felt like crying at that part! Luckily she had Liam to support her. I liked Liam :)


My only complaint was that it did get a bit confusing at times. The book took place across about a year but I didn't know when things were happening (as in months weeks etc. time). But apart from that it was perfect.


Overall, this book gets 5/5. It was really enjoyable and extremely well-written. The characters were so realistic and seemed to almost come to life on the page. Oh, I wish this wasn't the end of the series! *sob* Well, at least we have a new book by Sophia Bennett to look forward to! I interviewed Sophia  and she told me that she is currently writing a new book called The Look. Can't wait for that! Anyway, I recommend this series and hope you all read it and experience the magic of Threads. : ) Bye!


Thank you so much to Chicken House for kindly sending me this to review!


Age Group: 11+
Publisher: Chicken House
Official Publication Date: 07 February 2011
Author Website: www.sophiabennett.com but Threads has it's own website here

Review done as part of the British Books Challenge 2011 hosted by The Bookette.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I really should get my hands on the first book in this series.
    At least you have Sophia's new book to read - you won't feel so sad then :D

    Rachel xx :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review, I got to read the copy you sent me! I want to read to the first two fist though. I found no.2 from the libary now I just need to keep my eyes open to find the 1st one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Looks like a cool book; maybe I'll have to keep an eye out!

    No, I can't wait for A Year Without Autumn either! Thanks, and you're welcome! (:

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :)

This is an award-free zone, sorry but I just don't have the time to pass them on! Thanks for thinking of me anyway :)